Tuesday, March 19, 2019

The Circle of Life - Living and Working with Dementia

The Circle of Life
Well, sometimes it all come around. Styles go out. Styles come back in. Genre's get a revival then fizzle out again as something new comes along.
And then there are jobs that come and go. Mine came and went this week.

The Backstory
4 years ago on my birthday i received a job offer letter in the mail after my interview process, which i quickly accepted. I had worked at TTI the previous year as a temp worker under Phillips Staffing. In my position I interacted on a daily basis with the accounts receivable department. After leaving to try my hand at running my own business, I was hired on in the AR department.


Fast forward to my birthday this year. I'm sitting at the doctors office while she fills out the paperwork to put me on disability because of the Hydrocephalus and Dementia. I could no longer fulfill my duties and the paperwork was completed to start the process of putting me out on "continuous" disability, with the words "lifetime" and "permanent" being interspersed.
We always knew the day would come, but you keep hoping that it is still quite a ways down the road.
Now it is the reality that is staring us in the face.

What do I do with myself now?
This is going to feel kinda weird being out on disability. I still want to be able to do, but my ability to drive has become severely limited. I'm not able to do as much around the house either. Yesterday we went and bought me a used walker for the times when my balance is really bad from the Hydrocephalus. Next week I have an appointment with Social Security to file for SSDI.
It was only 4 years ago that I had gone back to work to be off of SSDI after 21 years. Like that rock song says, "Now here we go again!"

Think Positive
I know God brings things to us when the time is right and I'm trusting that he will bring an exciting new chapter into my life next. A cure would be the best thing, but i'll accept whatever he does give me. I try not to be scared or stressing out and so far i'm doing pretty good at it. There were a lot of tears at work yesterday as I stopped in my department to say goodbye. I'm not going to think of myself as a failure. I kept plowing full steam ahead until I finally could not do it anymore. Even our CFO left a note that he wanted to see me before i left. He thanked me for all i had done and it made me feel good and appreciated. That is a great way to go out!

Here We Go!
Now for what comes next, I don't know. But I'm ready for whatever comes my way. I do hope that the next "circle" lasts a bit longer as 3 years were really quick.

Question for commentors?
Have you witnessed a family member or a friend go through a time when they had to quit working due to their health?
What advice would you give to someone going through this, or to someone watching their loved one/friend go through this? 

So until the next update, just remember #AlzSux #HydroWarrior4Ever #KeepFighting

If you would like to support me and help us find a cure, please visit my Alzheimer's Association Ride To Remember fundraising page and make a donation of any amount. Every bit helps! 

Please Click HERE to Support My Ride To Remember

Thank you for your support!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. All comments are verified by me as people like to spam bloggers with their ads and as you can tell from the posts, i don't do ads all through my blog like some do.
Please follow me and continue to comment as appropriate.
Thanks,
Keith