Saturday, April 13, 2019

If Running My Mouth Counted, Marathons Would Be A Breeze



This past Wednesday I had the opportunity to go to our State House and meet with our Senators and Representatives and talk with others from all over our state who have been impacted in some way by Alzheimer's and Dementia. 
Most people think the Alzheimer's Association is just for people with Alzheimer's, but the truth is Alzheimer's is just a portion of what they do. Any form of Dementia is represented, especially where legislation, research and support is concerned.
That is the message that we pushed on our visit. Most of the almost 140 supporters who attended our session have or had loved ones who Dementia affected greatly. Myself and a few others were able to bring a new reality to the legislators as we have Early Onset.
It is one thing to talk to a legislator about a disease but it is another to stare at the person with it, especially when we don't fit the mold. Most people think of someone in a skilled nursing facility whose faculties are limited with no hope of getting better, only the outlook of the decline that is ahead of them.
That is what I enjoyed about visiting the different legislators. 
SC Representative Jonathon Hill was one of the men that I had the privilege to talk with. Myself along with Cindy Alewine, who is the Executive Director of our SC Chapter of Alzheimers (pictured above) sat down for about 20 minutes and spoke with him about our concerns and to thank him for helping to pass crucial legislation. I really felt that by being able to speak about the disease first hand it made his attention more direct. He listened to every word I spoke and asked questions, even lending his experience with the disease. Cindy and myself both left from there feeling that our mission for that day was accomplished.
I also thought it was a great gesture that while we were in the balcony of the House, we were recognized by the floor, even personally acknowledging another couple who are in the fight themselves, the husband having been a very successful businessman in the Grand Strand area.
My wife says I will talk to a sign post and maybe that is a good thing at times. I want to change the perception that people have about those who are fighting this disease head on. NBC loves to use the phrase "The More You Know" and that is how I see our fight. The More You Know about Dementia, the 10 early warning signs, and the support that is out there (such as our SC Chapter) the better you will be able to deal with this.
Don't get me wrong, this is no walk in the park. #AlzSux is more than just a motto. It is my deepest feelings. From asking about a blanket draped over me and calling it "the carpet" to not being able to name the simplest things, yet sitting in my recliner watching Jeopardy and getting a good many answers right, even Final Jeopardy, this disease is FRUSTRATING!!!!
I will continue the fight. Now that I've had a taste of talking to politicians face to face, I don't think it will be the last they have seen of me.
And God is granting me new opportunities too. I'm speaking to a group in Greenville at the Alzheimer's Association office (you can get more information by contacting them) on Tuesday April 23rd at 10 AM about my experience with Early Onset and what the journey has been like so far.
In May I'll be speaking to another group in Anderson about my experiences also, and I'm sure there are other opportunities to come soon.
I've said all this to tell you the one thing I want you to remember.
No matter what position you hold, what occupation you do, please do your best to #EndAlz because #AlzSux

PLEASE consider supporting me in my efforts to raise money to fight this disease by clicking on Ride To Remember 2019 and donating what you can. $5, $50 or $500, the more $ for research, the quicker we can find a cure. I still want to be #TheFirstSurvivor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. All comments are verified by me as people like to spam bloggers with their ads and as you can tell from the posts, i don't do ads all through my blog like some do.
Please follow me and continue to comment as appropriate.
Thanks,
Keith